FSVA works to retain, develop and improve air service access to the Wood River Valley.
KEY STRATEGIC GOALS
Expand length of service in existing markets and increase frequency as appropriate/feasible
Add new nonstop destinations
Support improved reliability of flights; continue to improve weather-related diversion busing
Attract new visitors, more repeat visitors and second homeowners
Make it easier for businesses to operate in the valley because of better air access, attract new businesses
Make air travel to/from SUN more convenient and price competitive
Improve the economy, tourism and jobs
Fly Sun Valley Alliance is an Idaho non-profit 501c(6) corporation. The volunteer board of directors is made up of private sector business and organization members, as well as public sector representatives from Friedman Memorial Airport, the cities of Hailey, Ketchum, Sun Valley and Blaine County.
The air service development work of Fly Sun Valley Alliance is funded through investment partnerships with both public and private sector entities. Public sector investment is provided through annual contracts with Sun Valley Air Service Board through 1% for Air Local Option Sales Tax revenues. Private sector investment is provided through local business partner programs such as Realtors for Air, Air Support Business Ski Passes and Ski for Air Service Day.
SCOPE OF WORK: AIR SERVICE RETENTION, DEVELOPMENT, IMPROVEMENT
AIR SERVICE DEVELOPMENT
Work with consultants, airlines and other partners to:
- Negotiate air service contracts with airlines* - monitor, evaluate, track bookings, fares, P&L
- Support coordination of start-up effort for new flights (i.e., United SFO in 2013, United DEN in 2014, Alaska PDX in 2016, etc.)
- Coordinate marketing of the air service with partners via promotions, fare sales, campaigns, etc. (Partners include Sun Valley Resort, Sun Valley Marketing Alliance, local lodging properties and businesses, Idaho Tourism, and airlines)
- Work with airlines and contract diversion busing providers to improve service/experience
- Research and pursue new and/or expanded air service opportunities from target markets
- Support Friedman Memorial Airport efforts to improve airport infrastructure and services
- Keep abreast of key air service/industry trends nationally and within Sun Valley’s competitive set
- Maintain strong relationships with key industry contacts: airlines, consultants, state and local officials, other air service program directors, etc
- Develop and implement winter and summer air passenger surveys at SUN to determine travel trends, economic impact, other relevant data for use in decision making, public education
- Monitor/ track other air service related data within our competitive set
- Monitor/track monthly/YTD enplanement data and other air service related information
- Work with Friedman Memorial Airport on reduction of leakage, airfare price comparisons, etc
- Manage and promote the AIR SUPPORT BUSINESS SKI PASS program with Sun Valley Resort
- Manage and promote the REALTORS FOR AIR program with Sun Valley Board of Realtors
- Manage and promote the SKI FOR AIR SERVICE DAY fundraising event with Sun Valley Resort
- Pursue other fundraising opportunities as feasible
- Provide information and outreach to all key stakeholders and public on importance of regular commercial air service and FSVA programs that ensure we continue to retain and improve Sun Valley’s commercial air service access.
- Coordinate communications efforts with Friedman Memorial Airport on air service issues.
*BACKGROUND ON AIRLINE CONTRACTS: Most airlines now require a contract to provide nonstop service to smaller seasonal markets like SUN. These contracts typically include a financial risk-mitigation component, usually in the form of a Minimum Revenue Guarantee (MRG) to ensure the airline does not have significant loss on the route. Additional airline seats into Sun Valley are a critical part of a comprehensive effort to stimulate the local economy and generate more tourism, more business and more jobs.