To improve commercial air service access to the Wood River Valley.
Fly Sun Valley Alliance is an Idaho non-profit 501c(6) corporation. The volunteer board of directors includes private sector business members and public sector representatives from Friedman Memorial Airport, Hailey, Ketchum, Sun Valley and Blaine County.
The air service development work of Fly Sun Valley Alliance is funded through investment partnerships with both public and private sector entities. Public sector investment is provided through annual contracts with Sun Valley Air Service Board through 1% for Air Local Option Sales Tax revenues. Private sector investment is provided through local business partner programs such as Realtors for Air, Air Support Business Ski Passes and Ski for Air Service Day.
SCOPE OF WORK: AIR SERVICE RETENTION, DEVELOPMENT, IMPROVEMENT
AIR SERVICE DEVELOPMENT
- Negotiate air service contracts with airlines* - monitor, evaluate, track bookings, fares, P&L
- Support coordination of start-up effort for new flights (i.e., United SFO in 2013, United DEN in 2014, Alaska PDX in 2016, etc.)
- Coordinate marketing of the air service with partners via promotions, fare sales, campaigns, etc. (Partners include Sun Valley Resort, Sun Valley Marketing Alliance, local lodging properties and businesses, Idaho Tourism, and airlines)
- Work with airlines and contract diversion busing providers to improve service/experience
- Research and pursue new and/or expanded air service opportunities from target markets
- Support Friedman Memorial Airport efforts to improve airport infrastructure and services
- Keep abreast of key air service/industry trends nationally and within Sun Valley’s competitive set
- Maintain strong relationships with key industry contacts: airlines, consultants, state and local officials, other air service program directors, etc
- Develop and implement Air Passenger Surveys at SUN to determine travel trends, economic impact, other relevant data for use in decision making, public education
- Monitor other air service data within our competitive set
- Monitor monthly SUN commercial air service statistics
- Work with Friedman Memorial Airport on reduction of leakage, airfare price comparisons, etc
- Manage the AIR SUPPORT BUSINESS SKI PASS program
- Manage the REALTORS FOR AIR program with SVBR
- Manage SKI FOR AIR SERVICE DAY event
- Pursue other fundraising opportunities as feasible
- Provide information and outreach to all key stakeholders and public on FSVA programs that ensure we retain and improve Sun Valley’s commercial air service access.
- Coordinate communications efforts with Friedman Memorial Airport on key air service issues.
*BACKGROUND ON AIRLINE CONTRACTS: Most airlines now require a contract to provide nonstop service to smaller seasonal markets like SUN. These contracts typically include a financial risk-mitigation component, usually in the form of a Minimum Revenue Guarantee (MRG) to ensure the airline does not have significant loss on the route. Additional airline seats into Sun Valley are a critical part of a comprehensive effort to stimulate the local economy and generate more tourism, more business and more jobs.